Q.  Where and how do I appeal my Court fees?
A. If you are required to pay fines, penalties, fees or other financial obligations as a result of a judgement of this court and you are unable to pay, bring this information to the attention of The Pima County Juvenile Court Assessment Office because payments over time or other alternatives may be available.  Do not ignore your responsibility to pay, as this may result in additional penalties and costs to you.  For more information, contact the Assessment Office at 520-724-9445.

Q.  Why am I being assessed fees when I’m the Victim (Parent/Guardian)?
A.  All fees assessed are statutorily mandated.

Q.  Am I required to disclose the income of a stepparent on the Financial Affidavit?
A.  The income of a stepparent must be included as income on your Financial Affidavit.

Q.  Which fees am I responsible for as a Parent/Guardian?
A.  The Parent/Guardian is responsible for all fees assessed, with one exception.  Restitution is assessed to the juvenile and remains his or her responsibility after s/he reaches the age of 18.  However, there may be instances in which a Parent/Guardian may be held responsible for a portion of the Restitution.

Q.  How do I make payment arrangements?
A.  You may make payment arrangements by contacting the collections department at (520)724-4462, (520)724-4701 or (520)724-4584.

Q.   Are Court fees subsidized by income tax?
A. Any Court fees assessed are statutorily mandated.  However, should you fail to pay these fees there is a chance you would be subject to the tax intercept program through the Department of Revenue and your tax refund would be intercepted.

Q.  May my child do community service hours in lieu of any parental fees owed?
A.  Parental fees are statutorily mandated and remain the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian.

Q.  What is a Financial Affidavit and why do I need to complete one?
A.  A Financial Affidavit is a sworn statement of your financial status used to aid the Court in determining fees.  A Financial Affidavit is valid for a period of six months.

Q.  Where do I make court payments?
A.  You may pay your fees at the Clerk of the Court located in the Juvenile Courts Center.

Q.  Do you accept payments over the phone?
A.  Yes, you may pay your court fees over the phone by contacting the Clerk of the Court at (520) 740-2052.

Q.  What forms of payment are acceptable?
A.  You may pay fees with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, money order, check or cash.

Q.  What happens if I do not pay the court fees assessed to me?
A.  If you do not pay the assessed fees, your account will be sent to collections.  If it remains unpaid, it could be forwarded to the Department of Revenue and subject to the Tax Intercept Program.

Q.  What happens when I (the minor) do not pay court ordered restitution?
A. If you fail to pay any Court ordered restitution; a judgment will be filed when you reach the age of 17 years and 9 months.  There is a possibility that any tax refund may intercepted.

Q.  What is a Judgment?
A.  It is a legal claim filed against a minor/parent or guardian for money owed to a victim.

Q.  Which fees will become the responsibility of my child once s/he turns 18 years old?
A.  Restitution follows the minor after s/he reaches the age of 18.

Q.  May I contact the judge?
A. Judges cannot speak with parties to a case exparte.  You should contact your legal counsel regarding any issues involving a case.

Q.  May discuss assessment information regarding a dependency case over the phone?
A.  Assessment staff are unable to access information regarding a dependency case without the case number.  If you are able to provide that number, staff will be able to assist you.

Q.  What is Placement?
A.  A placement may be residential treatment, out-patient treatment, counseling or a program.  It is any service ordered or recommended by the Court.

Q.  Does the Juvenile Court cover the cost of Court ordered placements?
A.  At times you may be told that the cost of placements is covered by the Court.  This is not the case.  It is statutorily mandated that Parents/Guardians may be assessed a portion of the cost of a placement based on their ability to pay.  A family’s ability to pay is determined based on their financial status.

Calendar Services

Q.  May I contact the judge?
A. Judges cannot speak with parties to a case exparte.  You should contact your legal counsel regarding any issues you have with a case.

Q.  Does my child have to have an attorney?  Why?
A.  Your child has the right to counsel per Rule 10a of the Rules of Procedure for Juvenile Court. 

Q.  How do I change attorneys?
A.  If you have a court appointed attorney, you need to let them know that you would like a new attorney.  They will submit paperwork asking for them to be withdrawn and a new attorney will be appointed if the Judge approves.

Q.  May I receive information regarding dependency cases over the phone?
A.  Calendar staff are unable to access information regarding a dependency case without the case number.  If you are able to provide that number, staff will be able to assist you.


Q. What is the role of a court interpreter?
A. The roll of the court interpreter is to be a neutral channel for communications between the non-English speaking persons and the English speakers in court proceedings.

Q. May interpreters give legal advice?
A. It is not the interpreter’s role to give legal advice.  You should refer to legal counsel for any questions you may have.

Q. I don’t understand the attorney’s terminology. Could the interpreter explain it to me?
A. It is not the interpreter’s role to explain or define a terms. You would need to ask your attorney, through the interpreter, to explain the term.

Q. Is there a charge for interpreter services?
A. There is no charge for the use of the court interpreters.  The Court is mandated to ensure that everyone is given equal access under the law.

Q. May a family member or a friend interpret for me?
A. A family member or friend may not be familiar with court terminology.  Therefore, a court interpreter must be utilized.

Q. There are some family members and/or friends who are not part of the case but who want to be present in court for moral support, could I request an interpreter for them as well?
A. The court will provide an interpreter for those who are part of the case and who need the services of the interpreter.  Should there be others present that need the services of an interpreter, the court will attempt to accommodate them as a courtesy.  However, all parties to the case must agree that it is appropriate and there needs to be sufficient staff and equipment available at the time.

Q. I did not request an interpreter at least three days before my appointment or hearing. Will an interpreter be available to assist me?
A. All court calendared hearings and timely requested interpreter services will take priority. The interpreter’s office will attempt to accommodate you but there is no guarantee that there will be an interpreter available for your appointment.